INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPPER ENDOSCOPY or ERCP
You should expect to be at the endoscopy center for about 1 ½ to 2 hours.
Before the procedure
- Do not eat solids from midnight before your morning test. If your test is scheduled for an afternoon, you may eat breakfast before 7 am the day of your test. You may drink clear liquids until 4 hours before your test.
- You will need to hold your aspirin, celebrex, plavix, coumadin or ibuprofen containing drugs for five days prior to your test, unless otherwise instructed at the office.
- If your test is scheduled for a morning, do not take your diabetic pills or Insulin shots on the night before and the morning of your test. If scheduled for an afternoon do not take your diabetes medicines on the morning of your test day.
- Plan on taking off from work on the day of your procedure.
Day of Procedure
- You will receive sedation for the test; therefore, you must have someone drive you home from the hospital.
- You must not drive or operate any type of machinery or drink any alcohol on the day of the test (i.e., after you return home).
- Resume your usual medications after the procedure unless instructed otherwise.
- After the procedure watch for evidence of bleeding and call your doctor immediately if you see any.
- The doctor will talk to you after the test, but if you have further questions, please call the office at 910 353 6158.